From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:56:24 -0500
on march 11/2005 Louis Halder wrote
"Thank you for responding to my request for help!  Can you explain how to
download a fresh Windows98 driver for this card?  Also, how can I tell if an
S3 "Trio 3D" video card is in our machine?  When I go to the settings info
all it says is Standard PCI Graphics Adapter VGA.  This all types out like
English but certainly reads like Greek to me!"

you have already learnt some greek(!) becuse you have gone into "start/ settings/control panel/display/settings" to get "std.PCI graphics adapter vga ".

only because of this and your request for suggestions for "computers for dummies" i am suggesting the following procedure.

(1)right click on the computer icon on your desk top and from the drop down menu left click on properties.  this wil
l bring up a window with 4 headings
general, device manager, hardware profiles, performance.

(2) in the general tab (which will be opened) you will find the operating system, registered to, computer details  listed

(3)now left click "device manager". yow will find a lot of things listed

(4)click on the + sign by the side of "monitor". this should show "compaq FS7600" or at least "FS 7600" which is your monitor model.

if this is listed it means your monitor has been correctly recognised.

now close, or ok, or cancel this window

(5) now go to start/settings/control panel and double click on the "display icon". you should find at the bottom of the big computer icon in this window:
display: FS 7600 ON -----------------graphics controller. i have put -----
because from your first post it is not clear whether you have an on board video in your mother board or a separate vid
eo card. i have win 98 se as operating system, on board video on asus mother board with intel chipset and samsung monitor model "syncmaster"  so my readings for display are " syncmaster on intel[r]82845g/gc/ge/pe/gv graphics controller.(i hope this is not too much greek!)

if after step (4) above you find that your monitor is not recognised corrctly then you may have to go through the procedure of "uninstalling/ re installing hardware (monitor) and this can be done ONLY if you have the compaq installation disk for your monitor.
 if on the other hand you do not have the correct graphics controller and get a list showing generic graphic controller( as pointed out by David Gillette)
then you have to give some more details about your mother board, model no, etc
so that someone from the list can guide you further.

NOTE: pl go through the above procedure only if you are comfortable but if not see if you can get a friend who can help
 you sort of on the spot

hope this will be of some help and have a nice day. venkat viswanathan

p.s. if you have to go through the process of reinstalling the monitor, once you remove it from device manager and reboot windows will automatically detect the monitor and ask you for the drivers or will load them from memory if they are there. if you are asked for the drivers you may need your windsows 98 cd.