From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:39:04 -0400
> 120 >> 12 volt transformers for PC devices such as hubs, speakers and
> modems never have polarized plugs.
> However I have always made sure that the transformers are plugged
> in at the
> correct direction relative to the printing on the device so as to put the
> hot lead on the right. This is not always easy to arrange without loosing
> some outlets on a surge protector or UPS.
>
> Because the transformers never have polarized plugs I am not sure
> that this
> is in fact necessary ?
> Is this a good idea or does it matter ?

     Polarizing plugs are used to prevent what should be neutral from being
connected to the hot lead. The perfect example is a light bulb socket.
Usually the centre of the socket is connected to the hot wire and the screw
base to neutral. If you were not to use a polarized plug for this kind of
device there is a 50/50 chance that the screw base is connected to the hot
terminal. Touching a neutral with your finger might tingle, touching a hot
will HURT or even KILL. Obviously since the screw part of the socket is easy
for fingers to touch it should be connected to the neutral lead.
        From an electrical standpoint it barely ever makes a difference which wire
is connected to hot and which to neutral, AC by it's natural is oblivious to
polarity since it changes so often per second.
        Now to you question... no it shouldn't matter. Most of these "power cubes"
are encased and treat the two prongs equally, since it doesn't matter
electrically and since you would have to break the whole thing open to have
a shock hazard it does not matter which way you plug it in. I doubt the
designers paid much attention to whether "the writing" matched the hot and
neutral connection. TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org