From:
Patrick Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 09:28:10 -0700
A problem I have found with what I call the "Alls well until the End"
problem that you seem to be experiencing is a conflict between STB video
cards and sound cards -- especially the Mwave types (Acer and IBM) but also
with SoundBlaster sometimes.  Solution is to run install without the sound
card installed and get machine happy. Then add back the sound card and
all's well.   THis solution has worked on every build on reinstall.  Have
made it part of my standard procedure - remove sound card, install 98,  add
back sound card, go to lunch.

Talked with MS techies, STB, Acer and IBM about this when 98 first came out
and they said it was not their product that caused the problem. But
removing the card solved the problem -- so somewhere in the mix is a
conflict that they did not want to look into.

>Here's the Problem:
>I'm trying to install  Win 98 on a new WD 13.something gig HD. The
>installation goes fine until what I beleive to be the last
>re-boot..whereupon the cmos screen shows "completed updating files,
>continuing to load windows" and it stays right there.
>it does not go any further. I've tried reloading it , with fresh
>re-formatting several times, disconnecting all perheps. except the
>needed ones, fiddled with different bios settings, yet I've had no

Patrick Meyer
A French Norman in a foreign land,
pining for the fjords.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: