From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 00:03:47 -0700
On 13 Jun 2002, at 13:40, Changhsu P. Liu wrote:

> At 04:51 PM 6/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >On 7 Jun 2002, at 16:22, Changhsu P. Liu wrote:
> >
> > > I have a different networking question.
> > >
> > > How do you set up a Win2K server so it can be the domain that
> > > controls all the accounts for other Windows 2000 Pro connected to
> > > it thru a router?
> > >
> > > When I installed my Win2K server, it asked if I have a domain to
> > > connect it to. I didn't see any option to make it a domain...
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help,
> > >
> > > Changhsu Liu
> >
> >   Under NT Server 4.0, you had to make this decision at the point of
> >installing the OS.  One of the nice things about 2000 Server is that
> >you can use the DCPROMO.EXE utility to turn a vanilla server into a
> >domain controller -- and, I believe, vice-versa.
> >
> >Dave Gillett
>

> Dave,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I found and launched the program but was
> puzzled by the 2 choices of the first screen. With a little search,
> it appears that I need to know Active Directory a little bit before
> doing anything. Does anyone have step by step info on setting up a
> domain controller? All I can find from net are microsoft's
> knowledgebase on different issues related to dcpromo.exe, but not
> the steps.

  It wouldn't hurt to learn more about AD, but it's probably overkill
for your situation.  Under AD, domains can be nested to form trees,
and trees can be grouped to form forests -- in your case, you want to
make a new domain, in a new tree, in a new forest.  The only really
tricky part of DCPROMO is that you need an NTFS (5.0, so formatted by
Win2K) partition for the domain SYSVOL, and you need to decide whther
you want to support pre-2K domain clients or not.

> It also requires a static IP to run. Currently I'm on dynamic assigned by
> router, and I'm on dynamic IP from roadrunner. I'm not familiar with IP
> things. Can I assign a static IP on my Win2K server and still be able to
> connect to internet and be able to use my PC as web server? I noticed that
> people use 127.0.0.0 for internal network, and IP assigned by NetGear
> router is usually 198.168.0.2. Can I make that one static? How does the
> static IP work with router and ISP?

  I expect that you're probably using NAT on the router, right?  That
means that when RoadRunner assigns the router a dynamic address, the
router will make all of your internet connections look like they come
from a single machine at that assigned address.
  Behind a NATting router, you can use any address range you like (as
long as you set it up properly...) and assign the addresses in that
range in any mix of dynamic or static methods.
  The catch is that if you pick a range that conflicts with real
addresses out on the Internet, you won't be able to reach those real
machines.  There are several groups of addresses which are reserved
for uses like this, and are *guaranteedA* not to conflict; one of
them is the various 192.168.x.1-254 ranges.  (With the default subnet
mask 255.255.255.0, each different x (0-255) designates a different
range.  x=0 and x=1 are both very popular choices.)
  127.0.0.1-254 are reserved as ways for any machine to refer to
itself.  You should not be assigning addresses in this range.

  If you want to assign a static address to one of your machines:

(a) it must be in the same range as the inside address of the router,
and

(b) you need to set the dynamic subrange in the router's "DHCP
server" settings, so that it does not try to give out that address
dynamically.  One common approach is to use a .1-254 range, and
configure the DHCP server to give out .100-199, leaving 1-99 and 200-
254 available as static addresses in the range.

  (You could probably get away for a while with setting that
192.168.0.2 address as static, but one day the router might try to
assign that address to the other Win2K machine.  They might or might
not realize that it's already being used....)

  (I'm going to be away for a week or so, so if you need additional
clarification, it may need to be from someone else -- or try me again
after June 24th.)

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com