From:
Fred Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 17:42:33 EST
David,
Not knowing your primary intended use for your PC, I will only suggest that
dual processor support by software producers is slim at best. I game online (
and off ) and soundcard power is essential for good framerates. Plus, if you
care about digital sound quality, you will check out Soundblaster's new
Audoligy series. Superior sound for the money. Why stop at 512 megs? Go for
broke DDR is so cheap! My advice is to get a huge (400w) power supply and
modify your case of choice to accept several cooling fans that will aim
directly at the mobo. CFM is where it's at. I put four huge 5.25" fans
(120+CFM total) exterior mounted. I had to cut 4 holes plus an exhaust port
on the opposite case side near the top. I relocated all of my drives, leaving
the top 5.25" bay open with no coverplate in place so air can exit up and out
there too. You want cool air to be forced directly at the mobo and the hot
air exhausted to holes as far opposite of cool air intakes and towards the
top of the case as possible. I also spaced the various PCI cards apart, to
give better cooling. Pay special attention to video card cooling-- most
important-- and if you decide on multiprocessors you need this kind of
cooling anyway--in my opinion :-) Hope some of this helps in your quest for a
PowerPC!-- Fred Koch