From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:36:34 -0500
> I am in a big problem. I have a AMD ThunderBird 1GHz , on ABIT KT-7
> motherboard.The motherboard has inbuilt ATA/100 controller from HotRod.
> HotRod gave drivers for Windows2000, NT and 98. But this controller is not
> supported by RedHat Linux. It doesn't recognizes the harddisk,
> when i go for
> installing linux it says no storage device  found, and asks me to supply a
> DeviceDriver Diskette.
> On the otherhand, HotRod doesn't completely abandons Linux, it
> says download
> some Patch from http://www.linux-ide.org/ and that should fix
> this problem.
> Can Any one suggest me what to do with this patch. I have downloaded the
> Patch. its a file with .bz extension. But linux installation doesn't like
> the disk with this patch also.
> Patch name is ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch.bz2

        Linux is not for the tame hearted, even the latest RH builds can have
"issues" that make it "interesting" to install. You have reached this case!
:( First off, do you have "normal" IDE channels on that board? If so move
the HD to those channels and install Red Hat, it should go OK. Now, you must
install the patch. From what you've written it looks like they are simply
supplying a kernel patch. To "unzip" it try gunzip. Usually they supply
pretty good tutorials on how to install stuff like that, check with the
website again.
        As an alternative you could try using the latest Beta of Red Hat. If the
system is "just for fun" goto www.redhat.com and download the beta. It comes
with kernel 2.4 and has been updated for ATA100 drives and controllers.
        The main issue is getting it installed, once you've got it installed adding
patches becomes much easier. Hope this helped. TTYL