Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:22:15 -0800
On 11 Jan 2002, at 13:07, David Richards wrote:

> We have 5 computers networked via TCP/IP using winproxy as a proxy
> server connected to a dsl connection.  One of the computers lost
> networking capability.  The NIC was replaced with a known good
> NIC.  No go.  Suspecting a windows problem, windows was
> re-installed using the boot disk with cdrom support and running
> setup.  Again, no go.  Still suspecting a windows problem we did a
> clean install to another hard drive.  Go, go, go.  works fine, but
> all applications have to be reloaded to get the links back.  We
> are at a loss as to why it works with a clean install and not a
> re-install.  Would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanx,
>
> David

  I suspect a corrupted NIC driver.  Re-install may not be replacing
it, on the theory that perhaps the difference is that it's newer than
the OS CD.  Try removing and re-adding the NIC -- you'll probably
have to reboot several times during this process.  (I'm not sure how
well the "Update Driver" option in Device Manager works for NICs.)

Dave Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com