From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 07:58:18 -0700
Key Features: LCD monitors

Native resolution: Because an LCD uses a matrix of cells to display its
image, it has a fixed (or native) resolution at which the display looks
best. A 15-inch LCD has a native resolution of 1024 by 768, while most 17-,
18-, or 19-inch models use a 1280 by 1024 native resolution. If you set the
monitor to a lower-than-native resolution, the image will almost certainly
be blurry, because the display will use only a portion of the pixels it
contains and will scale up the resulting image to fill the screen.

Though scaling technologies have improved in recent years, you're still
likely to be disappointed with their results. Text most readily shows
pronounced jaggedness at nonnative resolutions. So an LCD is a good choice
if its native resolution is one you are comfortable using for all
applications.

I took this information from PC World's website  (specifically -
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/bguide/0,guid,9,page,2,00.asp )
I recommend you go there and read a bit more on it - it's good info to know :)

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net