From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:07:36 -0500
From: Travis Neal : Subject: [PCBUILD] cd re-writer issue

> I recently purchased a Pacific digital 4xX2xX8x cdr/rw.  This device ddint
come with any drivers.  I can load the generic drivers (thanks to this
group's archives) and that will alllow it to read cd's without any problems.
However, I cannot run some programs (mainly games which require 32 bit
drivers.)  I have searched the web site up and down for some drivers and I
cannot find any.  I also cannot find who made the drive either. Windows
isn't any help either.  The drive isnt even detected in the Add New Hardware
applet. I have sent email to technical support, but have yet to receive any
reply.  Does anybody have any information about these drives, or where I can
find some drivers.
> TIA,
> Travis Neal

You have not stated what OS you are running but from your statement it
sounds like Win95 or Win98.  Both Win95 and Win98 do not need drivers for
cd-roms they are built in to windows. Your cdr\cdrw should be recognized as
just a plain cd-rom by windows.  To use the cdr/cdrw capabilities you must
buy cd mastering software, such as Adaptec's Easy Cd creator, Adaptec's
direct CD, Paddus Disc Juggler, Goldenhawk's CDRwin,  or WinImage.  If you
loaded real mode drivers in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat then you are
probably forcing the cd-rom to run in MS Dos compatibility mode.  You will
need to remove the drivers from your config.sys with the "REM" or ";"
(without the quotes) command, remove your cd-rom in device Manager and
reboot your system. The cd-rom should be added by windows when you boot up
again.

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org