From:
Jim Mullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 17:01:14 -0400
To quote a fellow ABIT installer on the ABIT news group, "I am at my
wits end." Got a BH6, nice case w/250 watt PS, 64 megs tested to 124 MHz
and a Celeron 300a  tested to 450 Mhz at 2.2 volts from PC Nut. I have
seen this problem more than once on the news group and no real solution
that has worked for me. The basic problem is no post, no beeps and power
switch must be held closed for many seconds before power is turned off.
All other components are known good so problems has to be with the
board, power supply or memory, right?

What I have done so far:
1. Reseated CPU, cards and memory more times than I can count.

2. Cleared CMOS jumper

3. Pulled all cards to clear the PCI bus.

4. Tried booting with no cards or video in hopes of getting some beeps.

5. Triple checked install for shorts ( visually. I may need to pick up a
multimeter to check PS outputs tonight.

5. Tried screwing to  case's metal standoffs both with and without
included ceramic spacers between screw heads and the mobo.

6. Hard drives and all fans (case and CPU)  run like tops.

7. AGP video card (OEM Matrox G-200) swapped with known good Mystique
220 that is in the registry of the Win 98 system on the Primary master C
that is another known good component. Using it now on my old system.

8. Called PC Nut and had another mobo Fed Exed to me yesterday. Result
the same.

What am I missing here? Clearly, from the news group, these boards
although  great when they work, are not the easiest to install for the
casual builder. This is my first ATX system although I have thrown
together 8 or 9 AT systems. I have not gotten any signs of life out of
either of the boards from PC Nut. Common sense tells me I must be doing
something wrong 'cause it is not likely to get two DOA mobo's like this.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I need the horsepower from
the Celeron to run my racing sims or I would stick with my OC'ed Pentium
Classic on the AT box I am typing from now.

--

Jim Mullen  [log in to unmask]

Always remember and never forget: "No matter where
you go...there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

                                  -----