From:
glen sagers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:38:57 -0600
        Windows only installs around 40 fonts.  This holds true for windows 95,
98, and ME (also for NT & 2000, IIRC).  Most of the fonts on your hard
drive before the re-format were installed by applications, word
processors & desktop publishing packages install the most, but others
install fonts, also.  So, to get them back, re-install the applications
that installed them originally.
        Also, the next re-format/re-install, just zip up your fonts directory,
and save it to floppies/zip/CD-R.  Then unzip them to a temp folder,
browse to c:\windows\fonts in windows explorer, and select add font from
the "File" menu.  Browse to the temporary directory in the window that
opens, and select the fonts to install.  click ok to any messages saying
a version of xxxx is installed, and there's all your fonts back.  Note
however, that some fonts are not licensed for use without installing the
program that they came with.

Glen Sagers