From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:48:06 -0700
You need to create a user on the NT4 computer for the Win98 PC.
NT4 is a true secure network operating system and as such no user can log
on without a password and a set of defined privileges. Logging on to Win98
may appear the same as logging on to NT4 but 98 offers little if any
security. It does however allow you to have different profiles and hardware
configurations for different users.

Open NT4 User Manager and create a user with the same name and password you
logged on to the Win98 PC with. Make sure this is the USER and NOT the name
of the Win98 computer. If you log on to the Win98 PC without a password
then you will need to create a user and a password. Once you create the
Win98 user in NT4 it will no longer ask you for a password when you attempt
to log in from the Win98 PC unless you specify that it does in user manager.

Mark Rode
Senior Editor \ The NoSpin Group

>I have a colleague who has a peer to peer network, (2 PCs), He has
>installed NT 4.0 WS onto one hard disk drive and has '98 on the other in
>one machine. When he is working in NT, although he can acess his other
>machine via the network which is running '98 from the NT machine, when he
>tries to access the NT machine from the '98 machine, the '98 machine gets
>a password box pop up on its monitor. I believe both machines are running
>in fat16. Does anyone know what the cause of the password box is and how
>to eliminate it?
>
>Regards Roger.

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions