From:
Ken Hollingsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:26:27 -0700
Phil,
     Not sure this would apply to your situation, but might prove worthy
of investigation...
     Years ago, before the Compaq / HP merger, I had a Compaq 4704.
That was in 1995/96 era, and modems hadn't evolved to much speed.  I think
it had  a 33.6 modem.  When the new 56k modems came out, I wanted to
switch to the faster one, and spent a lot of time trying.  Eventually,
I found that
Compaq's integrated sound/entertainment system was so entwined with the
modem (don't know why), I had to leave their modem in place, and install the
newer modem in another slot - daisy chained to the old one.  I forget the
exact porting they required, but might bear fruit to investigate that aspect.

Ken Hollingsworth
Redlands, CA