From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:21:00 -0600
Chris;
 Your printer is probably about thrashed.
While Hp printers are very good, the 600 series are not their best
product.
I've worked on several of this vintage and usually the grinding noise
is the problem.
 You can probably get a little more use out of it by cleaning the
cartridge guide bar and applying (very sparingly) some high quality
light oil to it. Don't use 3 in one oil, use sewing machine or gun oil
that won't get gummy. Some of
the new teflon or silicon lubricants might work well also.
Be very careful not to get oil on the mylar strip that runs behind the
shiny
round guide rod. I usually just put a drop or two on a paper towel and
rub it sparingly on the guide rod.
  Yes, I know this isn't recommended by HP, but I've done it on
numerous
printers and normally it will make it work for a while longer, if it
has no other problems.
 What do you have to lose?
 If you do have to replace it, the discontinued model  722c or 720
(same printer) Hp deskjet is excellent and is selling for as little as
$100 at my local Costco (Boise) .
Also the black cartridges for this printer -  51645A are some of the
easiest to refill with bulk ink.