From:
"James E. Griffin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 01:04:18 -0500
System is: mobo Matsonic TX-ProII w 1MB cache and sound; CPU pentium I
233 MMX; Diamond video card w 4MB RAM. Windows 98. Don't think the rest
of system needed for problem diagnosis.

Mobo has 3 dimm slots and 4 simm slots. Cannot use together dimm 1 AND
simm 1&2; or dimm 2 AND simm 3&4. Max RAM is 3 X 128MB SDRAM dimms.
Board supports error correction RAM. Board is not pc100.

Problem: System ran fine with 1 64MB SDRAM w EPROM module (Siemens,
non-pc100). Went to add another 64MB SDRAM w EPROM module, couldn't get
Siemens. IBM, Fujitsu, Matsonic, no go. Thought problem was mixing
manufacturers. Pulled Siemens module, wouldn't run with Fujitsu 64MB
SDRAM w EPROM module in dimm slot 1; same with several others. All high
profile, low profile, didn't matter. Some didn't make into windows, some
did but gave bogus VxD driver errors, etc. 1 IBM module wouldn't run but
another -- different chip layout -- would run. Tried to add identical
IBM module SAME LOT NUMBER in dimm 2, system wouldn't run. None of these
were error correcting modules.

Thought at this time had a bad dimm slot 2. UNTIL we put 2 128MB SDRAM w
EPROM modules in dimm slots 1&2 (both modules are pc100's). Module 1
Micron major on major. Module 2 Hyundai on Hyundai (!!). System ran
fine. Swapped slots, still ran fine. Ran either module alone in dimm
slot 1. System ran fine. Settled on 1 128MB Micron major on major w
EPROM.

Anyone out there got a reason, or is the God of slapstick rearing his
head again?

Still shaking my head,
Jim Griffin
--
Prometheus was the first Beta Tester.
Sisyphus was the Corinthian Systems Administrator.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html