From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 15:57:17 -0400
The first installment of your message should be included with this one,
so we can have the whole problem at hand. I've included it at the end of
your reply.
Dell has a support tool that might help-it's at:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/dellsupport30?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=m
You would be better off with more memory-try the upgrade tool at
www.crucial.com.  512 MB is a much better figure.
You might want to adjust your power saving settings in Control Panel.
That could be the reason for the dark screen.
I don't have an XP laptop handy, but Look in Control Panel under the
Power icon and see what the settings are for Disk turn off, standby and
monitor turn off. Note that there are separate settings for when you're
on battery and on AC power.
I'd also be suspicious of any recently installed programs.

Denise Matthews wrote:
>> Thanks for replies
>> Inspiron 1300 laptop with Windows xp home edition
>> Hard drive free space 29.0GB used space 5.09GB.
>> Processor 1.50GHz 248 RAM
>> McAfee antivirus, on programes there is an AOL Spyware but I don't think this is activated.
>> Installed Spyware Doctor.  Have run both scans, 1 filed was recommended tobe deleted, which I did.
>> Developments started to occur over last week, and this morning screen went blank after 10 mins.
>> Almost looks like it has gone into screen saver but without anything on screen.
>> Hope this will help, if not be patient, I am totally green.
> Denise
My computer is running slow, and sometimes seems to lock, and also
cannot get out of windows.
> On the internet at times cannot get from website to another.
> The screen sometimes goes blank with mouse (egg shape) only on screen.
> The mouse will move but obviously nothing to point at

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml