From:
"Darren K. Page" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:34:20 -0400
I assume that you are not using static IP addresses for each client machine
(you would get the same result that way also).

The only thing that I can think of is that you also have NetBEUI installed
on each of the client machines.

If this is the case, then your network will still function in a peer to peer
fashion because of the way that NetBEUI works.

Each of the machines on my network have a static IP address, and my network
is still functional when the proxy machine is down.

If your network is linked through a hub, then all of the client can still
"see" each other even if the proxy is off, because it is simply the same as
pulling the proxy machine off of the hub.

Hope this helps.

Darren K. Page
Montreal, Qc

The one thing I don't get is how the LAN still functions when the Proxy
server if off. I turned off the PC with the Proxy server and of course I
lost my Internet connection BUT the LAN still functioned normally.....I
don't get it....if your not specifying an IP address and you don't have the
proxy server running to handle things automatically how is the peer to peer
LAN
working ?

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org