From:
Fred Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:56:58 EDT
Ed,
If I were you, I might consider hard drive reformat and reinstall the OS.
I've installed myself into an unbootable corner a couple of times while
trying to get a game to work. In my case, many things were at fault. First,
don't ever think that the min. requirements listed on the game's box are any
where near the actual requirements. My PII400 just wouldn't run the games
very well, if at all. And even with the addition of the Geforce2MX, it still
couldn't handle the games. I finally overclocked my poor old CPU to the tune
of 448mhz, and *BAM*!! games ran smoothly. But back to my earlier suggestion
at format and reinstall of Windows. In an effort to squeeze more performance,
I had usually changed drivers to the newest available. Every tweak I knew I
threw at my machine. In the process, more and more often ( with Win98 ) I
would have blue screens and lockups, progressing until I had to format.
Everything runs so much nicer after a fresh install. No registry errors
etc... Now I use Win98SE, I've got my bios updated and set up properly, I've
got the latest Nvidia drivers (12.90), but I'm still using the 12.60's and
have no problems. The bios updates involve flashing the bios and installing
the newest mobo chipset's drivers as well. I've heard that you really can't
uninstall previous versions of DirectX and I can't help but think that
changing versions somehow can mess things up whereas a clean new install
using the newest drivers and DirectX would be your best bet. Also make sure
your case cooling is sufficient. When you kick in those games, so cometh the
heat, which will stop your gaming dead. Find drivers at www.rivazone.com. I
even overclocked my MX card as far as she would go using advice from this
site. Again, added case cooling imperative with this step! Good luck and I'll
try to help all I can. Fred Koch

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com