From:
Dean Kiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:02:23 -0500
Bob,

Does the system play sounds from within the system? Specifically, open/close
program, asterisk and so on? If the CD ROM is the only device that isn't
playing sounds such as music off of a CD, open the case and see if there is
a three or four lead wire going from the back of the CD ROM to the sound
card or sound section of the motherboard. If it is, remove it and check the
continuity of each lead, then check the bios to see if onboard sound is
enabled. Also, you may try opening the device mgr. and remove the drivers,
and reboot. W98 will reinstall necessary drivers.

At least a start. HTH

Dean Kiley