From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:51:21 -0700
On 30 Aug 2005 at 14:26, Peter Elliman wrote:

> 1) Can I use an Windows XP upgrade CD to install XP on a clean drive
> on the new PC?  If this is possible, it would entail creating a Win98
> boot disk for the new machine and then running the XP upgrade, correct?

  Yes you can.  If the new machine can boot from the CD drive, you don't
need the boot disk.

> 2) Does the XP upgrade install all of the approriate files on the new
> HD? I do not want XP to live on the same, small drive used on current
> Win98 machine and I prefer a clean install of XP.

  Yes, everything is included that a full version would provide.

> 4) Is this possible (and recommended) or should I simply install a
> full copy XP on the new machine?

  I believe you can use the upgrade path IF you are putting the old machine
out of service.  Use a full or OEM version if the old machine will continue
to be used, by you or someone else.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml