Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 06:09:21 -0400
Dear Jim,
Its a bit difficult to see the actual connector in the picture but normally laptop hard & CD drives have the small version of the ide plug on them.

Sometime the drives (eg my dell inspiron one) have an extra little adapter on them which changes the normal ide pin type plug to one with a central long ridge with contacts along each side - possibly considered easier to plug in without bending the pins.  You would need to ease this off first tho it can be difficult.

You have several choices
1/  get a 2.3 in to 3.5 inch ide convertor cable (See eBay item 160215669427 or similar)
2/  get an ide to USB convertor cable which normally has a large and small ieb socket for pata drives as well as a SATA socket for SATA drives.  I use one of these all the time to fromat and recover various HDs etc from my laptop.  See eBay item 380006260172 or similar.  They can also come with a power supply.

NOTE I am NOT necessarily recommending those PARTICULAR eBay sellers just giving them as an example of what the items can be like!

Del