From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:01:54 -0800
On 10 Mar 99, at 9:55, Edna wrote:

> Are the socket 5 and socket 7(non MMX)boards compatible for the
> pentium 2nd generation processors, and K5 and Cyrix M1?  IOW, can I
> use a p120(2x multiplier) in a socket 5 board?  I tried a Cyrix 686
> P120+ in a socket 5 and 50MHZ fsb and at boot up it reported on
> screen as a pentium 16MZ! It started getting pretty hot so I shut it
> down.  I understand that the socket 7 have better voltage regulation,
> and I think an extra pin on processor?  what other differences?

  Many Socket 7 boards offer a choice between 3.52v and 3.3v supply to
the CPU; my first guess would be that perhaps your Socket 5 board
offers only the former.

  There used to be a list around of boards certified by Cyrix to
support the M1.  Probalem was that it drew more power than Intel,
enough that many boards' regulators couldn't handle it.  I'm not
surprised that things quickly got hot, especially if the voltage is
also high....

  The oldest Pentium board I have around has some jumper options for
"M1" support.  I never got that to *work*, mind you, but I don't think
I'd bother to try an M1 in a board that didn't distinguish it from a
single-voltage Pentium.  [Most MMX-capable boards will also handle a -L
or M2 just fine, so this remark is specific to the 6x86/M1 generation.]
  I'm not aware of any such issue with the K5.

David G