Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:57:13 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
>   Deep breath ....  Okay ....

Thanks for your reply David. I apologize for the delay
with my reply, but this was sent yesterday and was
rejected for not including my full name. I always
forget that until after my email's been sent....

1. Yes, after NAV found JS Seeker I booted into it and
ran it. It detected nothng then and has detected
othing since.

For what it's worth, my theory about "my" hacker is
that he was in my pc prior to sending
any viruses (I installed my firewall AFTER I
discovered he was in my pc). Using viruses, trojans,
etc. doesn't seem to be his "style" -
he prefers more subtlety; using hacked, legitimate
software. Anyway, I think he made all the changes to
my system he needed to in order to gain control, and
THEN sent Seeker in (I'm assuming by it's name that it
"seeks" a specified target). For one of two reasons:
because he knew this would get my attention  - it
probably would alert me to the fact that something was
"up" in my files, and isn't that part of the malicious
hacker thrill?
Watching their victims freak out and try to escape? Or
because the file Seeker destroyed was Uninstall.exe,
and he knew that without that file I wouldn't be able
to delete "his version" of Win98. But I doubt the
latter, because my hard drive was already FAT32 so I
couldn't "lose" Win98 anyway, and I'm sure he already
knew that.

Speaking of which, I read two articles  specifically
stating that if your HD is FAT32, or you don't use
Uninstall.exe to uninstall Win98, you will ever get
rid of it: