From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 13:49:31 -0500
From: "Mike Riess" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:30 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] First time build

> I'm a fairly tech-savvy person wanting to build my own computer to save
> money.

Mike, I doubt that you will save any money over buying a ready-built
computer like a Dell.  The main advantages of building your own are the
abilities to customize, upgrade, and repair.  In the long run these can save
you money.

> I've been to a few pc building sites, but they're mostly out of date...Are
> there any good resources anyone would recommend for someone building their
> own pc for the first time? Is there anything in particular that I should
> know before I build?

This is a good source right here.  I think that there are still some
pictures on how to build a computer on the web site.  Things haven't changed
much since then.  Some of us offering advice have been building our own
computers for almost twenty years!  The most critical parts have always been
mounting the cpu in the motherboard correctly and mounting the motherboard
in the case correctly.

> Also, I'm wanting to setup a RAID 0 configuration on my PC, how would I go
> about doing something like that? Is there a specific type of motherboard
> that is designed for that?

You need a motherboard that supports RAID - many of the new ones do;  they
support RAID and SATA.

> Thanks for your help,
> Mike Riess

The core of a new system is the motherboard, cpu, and memory.  I suggest
that you purchase all three from the same place in case there is a problem,
there is no finger-pointing.

You have to add a hard drive, case, power supply, monitor, keyboard, and
mouse.  Some of these you may already have and can re-use from an older
system: the monitor, hard drive, keyboard, and mouse, and, also, the case
and power supply if the case is generic and the power supply is large enough
to do the job.  (Do not go cheapie on the case and power supply.  A cheap
case can cut your fingers.  A good case and power supply can last through
many generations of upgrades.)  You will also need a video card.  And a cd
or dvd reader/player.

You need to purchase an operating system - an OEM version is the cheapest.

You must pick a motherboard and hard drive combination that will work
together.  Probably a SATA mb and hard drive (two hard drives for RAID).

You must pick a motherboard and video card that will work together - decide
between PCI or SLI.  And the video card must work with the monitor.

On a budget, you can use an on-board sound system with earphones and add a
sound card later, if necessary. (I have deep pockets, but still use
earphones.)

If you currently own peripherals such as a printer, you need to make sure
that they will work with the motherboard.  For example, if your printer uses
a serial port, you will need the mb to have a serial port or else purchase a
PCI serial port - if you have enough free PCI slots.

This is enough information to get you started.  I suggest that you go to
Newegg.com and read up on the items that you will need.  Educating yourself
is half of the reason for building your own computer.  Then, if you have
questions, you can come back here.

You should also check the PCBUILD archives for others who have built systems
and see what they did.

HTH

Dean Kukral

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: