From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:23:13 -0400
Hi,

I ran a Biostar BX chipset board (slot 1) for a few years first with 64M
then went up the memory ladder and at the end  with 768M (3-256's).  The
orginal version of the board said it handled up to 384M.  I did do a BIOS
upgrade when I went from the slot celeron processor 333mhz to a slot
adapter and a celeron 800 (s370) cpu.  That was the same time I upgraded
the ram to 768M (market price was at all time low) and it all seemed to
work just fine.

I was running windows 98 2nd, which I believe only used 512M of the 768M.
But I had absolutley no problem running anything.  No Blue Screens,
nothing.  I am a now a firm believer of throwing as much memory as you can
at a system, as a first step to an upgrade.

Word of caution: though adding the 256M chips should be okay, there may be
incompatibilites between the chips latency or cloc timing that may not
allow them to work with the board.  Try and stay with the specificiations
the board manufacture had orginally for the memory.  I.e. Pc133 memory may
work in place of PC100 memory (which is nice for future upgrades) because
memory slows down to the situation, but if you can get pc100 memory it
would have a better chance to work properly if that was the original
specification from th eboard manufacturer.

God Bless America!

Joe Lore
MicroComputerCenter, Inc.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,