From:
Duncan Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:35:59 -1000
> Update:
> I just found a DDO at IBM (the drive is IBM) that allows one to break the
> 8GB barrier.  The utility is called Disk Manager version 9.47.  I'm going
> to give it a shot.  Any forewarnings about using this or any DDO? (Dynamic
> Drive Overlay).  I know one - mark the drive w/ a lable indicating the DDO
> that was used to format the drive *and* record on the label as well the
> drive geometry in the BIOS config at the time the drive was formatted.
>  It's a real pickle when ya come across one o' these drives not knowing
> what DDO was used and ya can't use the normal OS boot disk to boot into it.

In looking at the other messages, your prob may not be BIOS related.  If
it's a fdisk limitations, then PartitionMagic may be the answer.

If it BIOS, then you really should look into a 3rd party BIOS upgrade
software--Unicore (http://www.unicore.com/frmain.htm) makes them for
mnost computers and claims to have "unlimited" HD size support (it
probably has a limit, but it's apparently lge).  I've ordered an upgrade
for a Dell P133 for $69--I should have it installed early this week (if
you want, I'll update you after I install it)...  I'm using DM on
another computer which I can't upgrade the BIOS, and it conflicts w/Disk
Copy (you have to go thru some humbug steps to use it w/DM) and probably
other similar progs--you also apparently can't use an HD set-up w/DM on
another computer that doesn't have DM.  I feel a true BIOS upgrade is
better than patch-ons like DM or BIOS upgrade cards (the cards cost
nearly as much as the BIOS upgrade)...
--
Aloha,
Duncan Walker