From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:33:37 +1000
Russ wrote:
>It locks up during startup.  No response to mouse or keyboard and the time
>doesn not change. But when I set on its side, it works just fine almost
>every time.>>

How old is the machine? Has it ever worked?

  Did the problem start suddenly, is it intermittent, has it got worse over
time? Are you running it with sides off so you can see what's happening
inside? Fans spinning? Does it matter which side you lie it on?

Only thing I can think of is a fan problem, leading to overheating. If the
machine is "failsafe", power will cut out to protect the cpu or HD from
burnout.

Perhaps a cable or some foreign object touching fan blades, which moves
sufficiently when you tip it on its side to clear the fan. Or a fan bearing
on its last legs which will only run on its side.

Could it be the power lead not making good contact or faulty? Stretched too
tight when upright?

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html