From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:32:58 -0500
At 17:48 3/25/99 -0800, Brad Loomis wrote:
>Bill, you had mentioned using Desk Scan 2.7 on a Win95 machine.
>Just how did you go about installing this? When I try to run,
>I get an error message stating that it is for NT only...

Hi Brad

The Desk Scan 2.7 that I use for Win98 and WinNT4 came in a file
named SJ180en.exe and is 3,601,135 bytes dated Dec 31, 1997.
I downloaded this from Hewlett Packard's FTP site. I can't find
it there now. While the readme file only gives instructions for
Windows NT4, it installed fine in Windows 95 and 98.

The files tht I saw at Hewlett-Packard's website are only
supplementary drivers and are nowhere as large as the file that
I downloaded. I suspect that you tried to install one of these
files.

I searched HP's website for upgrades to Desk Scan and discovered
that Hewlett Packard is no longer giving this away for free. They
will sell you the upgrade to Desk Scan 2.8 for $20 or will sell
the upgrade for the whole scanner software suite (HP DeskScan 2.8
and HP Copy Utility, Caere OmniPage LE 5.0, Corel PHOTO-PAINT 5
and 6, Adobe Acrobat 3.01, and Corel Web.Graphics Suite. Supports
Windows 95, 98, and NT 4.0. Available in the U.S. and Canada only)
for $100. If you don't have the original software (to qualify as
an upgrade), the entire software suite costs $130.
<http://store.scanjet.com/scanjet/4c_upgrades.asp>

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Apparently Desk Scan 2.7 was
the last version that you could download free of charge...and it's
not there anymore. It's also possible that the Desk Scan 2.7 that
I downloaded was not free...I found the file by examining the FTP
directory tree. I was not sent there from some link. But it was
in a "public" FTP directory.

I'm sorry to hear that your scanner was broken. I hope the new one
works okay. I am going to purchase a Granite Digital Hot-Swap
terminator for one of my HP 4C scanners. This will allow me to
get rid of that dasterdly 25 pin cable and use a 50 pin "real"
SCSI cable.

Regards,
Bill