From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:43:16 -0800
On 30 Sep 98 at 15:23, Patrick Black wrote:

> Um, I have a question for the List Members, What is the main
> difference Between the Celeron and the PII? Plus is it the cheaper
> alternative to the PII?

  The current crop of PIIs are composed of three separate chips
inside the plastic package:  1 CPU and 2 L2 cache.  This makes them
relatively expensive to assemble.
  The Celeron uses a single chip, and dispenses with the plastic.
This left the Celeron 266 and 300 without any L2 cache, hurting their
performance.  The 300A and the 333 are using a new chip die which
includes 128K of L2 cache on the single chip; this integration allows
the cache to run at full CPU speed (PII L2 is half-speed), and yields
performance comparable to PII at same clock rate for less money.
  Note, though, that Intel sells a PII-450, but their fastest Celeron
is rated for 333 MHz.

> Here are the following Intel motherboard types that support PII and Celeron
> Processor:
>
>     Intel AL440LX
>       "    MU440EX
>        "   SE440BX
>
> This info is easily found in the MicroWarehouse Catalog.

  The Intel motherboards I've evaluated have often included features
of limited use to the average buyer (and/or excluded desirable
features...), and have always been priced well above competing
boards.

  The original question wasn't really about boards -- he's already
looking at the Abit BX6 or BH6, or the Asus P2B -- but about where to
find the mounting hardware.  Since Celeron doesn't have the plastic
shroud of a PII, the brackets shipped with some/older Slot 1 boards
don't connect to the Celeron.  Bob Thrasher's response is pointing
out that the BH6, at least, comes with both sets of brackets.

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**