From:
Donald Rex Gaither <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:59:35 -0600
On Friday, March 26, 1999 3:41 PM, thenson [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I just completed the assembly of a computer with a Soyo SY 5EMA+
mainboard
> (uses slot 7) with AMD's K6-2/350 processor.  I tried to install
Diamond's
> Stealth II G460 graphics accelerator and it is totally unsuccessful.  I
> cannot get any video image at all although a PCI card works just fine.
 In
> my research of the manufacturer's sites for the accelerator, the
mainboard,
> and the processor it remains unclear to me whether the accelerator is
> supposed to work with this setup or that it can only work with a Slot 1
> mainboard.  Can I use this accelerator at all?  Please help me.  I do not
> know what to do next.
>
> Tom Henson

Hi,
        That board only runs on Slot 1.  It uses an Intel I740 chipset.  Intel
does not support the Super Socket 7 motherboards.  The only exception that
I know of is the Real 3D Straighter.  They helped Intel design the chipset,
and they have a firmware update that will allow it to run on the Via
chipset.  I don't know if the update would work on the Diamond, but their
is a slim chance it might (of course there is a much greater chance it
would cause the board to become inoperable).

HTH,
Donald Gaither

PS I have a Diamond Speedstar A50 board running on a Via Socket 7, the Soyo
doesn't use Via, but it might work anyway.  Its an OEM board, but many
online stores will sell it to you.

Donald Gaither

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html