From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 07:27:43 -0500
At 03:25 AM 12/30/2000 John Villegas wrote:
> I'm having dificulties getting my com port 2 to run with my
> new jvc digital video camera connected ... com port 2
>
> How do i get the com port 2 , to work..???

John

The CMOS setting for the COM2 on the motherboard may disabled. Go into CMOS
and check your peripherals settings for the status of your serial ports.
You may also have a modem using COM2, and that is why the onboard serial
port is disabled (or set to a nonstandard I/O port setting). In the
alternative, try another port address in your camera's software.

NOTE that COM ports are "logical devices" which are names assigned by the
operating system according to the actual I/O port addresses of serial ports
in use. Your system may be using a non-standard I/O port and/or IRQ
setting, and your camera software cannot find COM2 as configured.  The
standard COM2 is I/O port address 2F8h using IRQ 3.

You will be very unhappy downloading digital video via a serial port. You
are much better off getting a FIREWIRE port if your camera supports it
(very likely). A branded firewire adapter is only $50-99 and usually comes
with good editing software tools. Firewire cables (usually not included)
are expensive, though.

I have a Kodak digital still camera with a serial connection and downloads
were so slow I bought a FlashRAM reader to download the pictures off the
memory card instead. Even a Palm Pilot hotsync via serial is ponderous. COM
ports are best left to serial modems.

Regards,

John Chin