From:
Gordon Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 00:23:46 -0700
Hi. My 19" Hitachi monitor, which is 12 months old & has been on 24/7
since new but generally on blank screensaver for 20 hrs/day has been
intermittently emitting a high frequency (~15000 HZ ?) low decibel
level sound over the past several weeks. The sound emits for perhaps
15 min every hour or so, & I find it quite irritating.

Is this something I can adjust? Something similar occurred with my
Sony 25" TV & I recall tweaking an internal setting a few years ago
& the noise permanently disappeared, but I don't recall what I did.

The noise seemed to start when I installed SP4 on NT4.0 WS. I
restored my old SP3 image on the NT partition because too many
other problems occurred, so all my old settings were resumed
with absolutely no other problems, video or otherwise. I've tried the
built-in degauss, switching the monitor off, changing refresh rates,
but the sound still intermittently occurs. It will stop immediately if
I blank the screen with the screen saver.

I also noticed on booting that as the different screens display prior
to NT log-on, a slight squeak of similar tone occurs, as if a switch
needed oiling (!).

If anyone could help me with this problem or direct me to a resource,
I'd be grateful.

Gordon Tyler___________________________Department of Psychiatry
out-pt group psychotherapy_______University of Alberta Hospital
[log in to unmask], Alberta, Canada