From:
Rob Stockton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:01:59 -0500
I tried Wipe Info. Access to the partitions is denied.

Basically.. it seems most of the programs that do secure erase boot into DOS and never see the drive after the reboot. I figure there has to be a program out there that can access a USB hard drive in DOS.

Wierd thing is.. I went to CompUSA and they are selling TONS of USB drives but it seems like they are all supported in Windows but thats the only place due to the USB.

I am still searching....

Rob Stockton
LAN-Fraggers.com

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:10:31 -0700, Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For security, you are not so much looking at doing an erase as you are at
>writing over the old data. Among others, Norton utilities includes a Wipe
>Info program. The goal is to write a bunch of new patterns over the old
>information. When you erase or partition a drive, you are only marking
>boundaries or changing the directory sector information. The original data
>is still on the sectors it was originally written to. If you were to delete
>a partition and create a new one, it is still possible to reconstruct your
>old partition and regain access to the original files! That is the reason
>for programs like Wipe Info.
>
>Hope this is of some help.
>
>Peter
>The NoSpin Group