From:
Bryan Tyson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 11:43:48 EDT
Many of you by now have seen the BMI Panther hard drive Tiger Direct recently
started selling (in my most recent catalog, it is on page 32). I bought the 3
GB model in February and enjoyed trouble-free operation until two days ago.
The last time I used it, everything was completely normal. Nothing unusual
happened whatsoever. Yet, the next day when I turned on the PC, a message
came on saying Win98 had not been shut down properly (not true), and scandisk
with surface scan must be run.

After completing a mere 20% of the drive, it had already found over 100 bad
clusters! At that point, I stopped scandisk. This drive is barely 3 months
old!

My questions are:

1. What happened?

2. Is the drive destroyed? (It does still boot and seems to be readable as
far as viewing directory listings, copying files, etc.)

3. Does anyone have experiences to share about this drive?

4. What should I do next?

Bryan S. Tyson
Greenville SC

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]