From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:34:50 -0500
I think the price difference is mainly due to the bad publicity that the
P-III has received already.(the serial number issue) and also, in part,
due to the competition that Intel now faces.  And probably (to a very
small degree) because of better manufacturing techniques (but this one is
usually offset by the cost of the new equipment needed for those better
techniques)

I believe that Intel has always gouged the public, charging outrageous
prices for it's products -- that's what happens when you have a monopoly
on the market.

Now that AMD has finally come up with a winner (the K6 series) and Cyrix
has worked out most of the compatibility issues with their CPU, there is
serious competition for Intel.  Why else have they released three new
product lines in less than three years?  (MMX, P-II, and P-III)
..... suddenly there is real competition!

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====