Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:19:42 -0700
>  >Another reason why you would want to do that is the IDE
>  >channels only operate as fast as the slowest device on that
>  >channel. By having the old slower HD with the fast new HD you
>  >limit the speed to the old HD's, and negate any faster speed on the
>  >new one.
>  >Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
>
> This had validity a very long time ago when IDE devices and their on board
> controllers were new technology. However this has not been true for many
> many years. Modern IDE controllers ...since Win95 and earlier....have no
> problem making distinctions between IDE mode types. and with a modern
> controller you can mix any IDE devices on a channel without regard for mode
> type or age of the device.

Check out

http://www.tomshardware.com/guides/storage/hdd-01.html

for a small explanation of why you still would want them on
seperate channels.(I mean a slow device and a fast device)
"...On one EIDE channel, the 2 devices have to take turns
controlling the bus. If there is a harddisk and a CD-ROM on the
same channel, the harddisk has to wait until a request to the CD-
ROM has finished. Because CD-ROM's are relatively slow, there is
a degradation of performance. That's why everbody tells you to
connect the CD-ROM to the secondary channel and your harddisk
to the primary. The primary and secondary channels work more or
less independently of one another (it's a matter of   the EIDE
controller chip). "...
Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 308
Hudson's Hope, B.C. V0C 1V0