From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:44:42 -0500
"Thank you for your help. I don't have a Win 98 boot disk but did verify
that the OS is on the c: drive and not the one I am trying to remove. I
discovered that I am able to boot to Win XP in safe mode even with the extra
drive disconnected. I used msconfig to experiment with turning off various
processes and applications but haven't yet found the one that is causing the
problem. I guess I may just live with it for now and eventually reinstall
windows. John Vercelli"

Hello!

Have you fooled around with the boot.ini file yet? That's where the computer
looks for directions to whatever OS(s) you have on your hard drive(s). I
don't know, but if you were to remove an OS (by, say, removing the hard
drive it lives on), perhaps that would make the boot.ini file not work -
thereby stopping the boot process right there.

To get to the boot.ini file (almost always in root of C:\), you can right
click on the My Computer icon, choose properties, Advanced tab, Start up and
Recovery Settings button, then click the Edit button to see the boot.ini
file. Perhaps commenting out the OS on the missing hard drive (with a
semicolon ";" - without quotes) would make all work.

Please be careful with this file, it gets broke, you are dead in the water.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

HTH!

Will Stephenson