From:
Felix Miata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2018 21:09:12 -0400
Donald DeWitt composed on 2018-06-01 16:56 (UTC-0400):

> I have an old dell desktop XPS 8400, operating system Win 7,  that is no
> longer usable.

What makes it "no longer usable"? Did its low-cost X300 video quit? If so,
equivalent used replacements are usually available from eBay. Any of X300, X600
or X800 should work using the already installed driver. I have several X600 in
use. Bad RAM can be replaced when RAM is the problem. Same for the power supply.
If the motherboard has bad caps, it can be refurbed either by a local
electronics expert, or by sending it to the operator of www.badcaps.net, which
has pictures to help you determine if caps are the problem.

I have several Dell towers of similar vintage that work fine, running either
WinXP and/or Linux. Most Dells of similar vintage can be refurbished. You might
be able to find the same model on eBay in working condition for $100 or less if
your CS2 app is particularly important and no other options seem available.

> I have replaced it with a new dell desktop XPS 8930,
> operating system Win 10. I removed the hard drive from the old computer and
> installed it in an external enclosure and was able to copy all my files via
> the USB connection. What the problem is, there is a graphics program, CS2,
> on the old drive that will not open using this USB connection.

It could be because the old PC was 32 bit and the new is 64 bit.

> I have the
> original CD but cannot complete the installation because the company will
> no longer activate this version.

Does it have a newer version it is selling upgrades to?

> Here are the questions: what can I do to get this program to open up? Can I
> swap out the drives or install the old drive as a slave? How do I do this?
> Or is there any other options? What do you recommend and what are the pros
> and cons.
Getting the old HD to boot in any PC other than an XPS 8400 is improbable.
Windows is very particular about the hardware it's installed on once the
installation is complete. Some experts may be able to make a migration work, but
it's nothing for a novice to attempt.

I don't know anything about getting 32 bit apps to run on Win10, or C2, but I
would think since Firefox 32 bit works on Win10, that the obstacle you're up
against has to do with the C2 license preventing it from running on any but the
original PC installed to. If that's the case, there may be no solution other
than getting your XPS 8400 or a twin to it working again.

Whatever C2 is, maybe there's something equivalent to it available free for
Linux users or even Win10 users. If for Linux only, you could add Linux to your
8930 either as a virtual machine or in multiboot. If for Win10, that would seem
the best option if getting an 8400 back running.
--

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/