From:
Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 22:48:25 -0800
Diane K wrote:
> Dear Listers,
>
> I am using two Maxtor 200GB HD's.  I've been using my Maxtor software that
> came with them to make bootable backups, which are created in DOS and I love
> that.  Anyway, now when I run it, it says I need to have a Maxtor or Seagate
> drive plugged in.  I don't know what to do to change that or make it see my
> drives.  They show up in my BIOS.
>
> Also,  I'm trying to format my backup Maxtor in Windows and it keeps saying
> it's being used.  So how do I change that, or can I just format it in
> DOS.
>
> Diane Kroeckel
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                       Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                         Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>

An alternative that would work is to download and burn the .iso image of
Gparted Live to CD, which is a Linux based partition manager program,
that will run from a bootable CD, and is smart enough to create any
Windows file system you would care to use on that drive. Since you would
be booted from the Live Linux CD, there would be no processes running on
the drive as you worked with it. It's free, and you can opt to use it
from USB, or another hard drive if you wish.  You can get it here -

<http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php>

Another option is the Ubuntu Linux Live CD image, which you can also
burn to a bootable CD, and which includes Gparted among the programs
that are included on the CD. This too if free, and it's handy to have a
second operating system to fall back on to surf the web, when your
Windows isn't working right. You can run Ubuntu right from the CD with
no installation necessary, and it includes Firefox as a browser. If you
need to make a clone of a drive, it includes the Linux command dd which
does just that for you. dd will make a bit by bit exact copy of any
drive to another drive of the same size or larger. Get Ubuntu Live here -

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Here is a very good tutorial on using dd to clone drives. This forum
thread is 6 or 7 pages long, with the tutorial in the first post,
followed by a very good question and answer session, which covers all
the bases for using dd.

<http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>

Later, Ray Parrish

--