From:
Ron Colby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:51:05 -0800
With the exception of two or three responses to the list as well as
privately the general consensus ( my interpretation ) among over a dozen
respondents was stay clear of Compaq computers if you are at all concerned
with the proprietary "thing."

I was interested in the new Compaq Presario 4860 at Computer City. My only
problem now is that I still am going to purchase a new computer more then
likely not a Compaq but my purchase has to be made at Computer City. Mail
Order and building my own at this juncture is not an option ( don't ask ).
Computer City sells Compaqs, IBM, Sony, TriGem and Hewlett Packard. Any
body care to chime in regarding the proprietary nature of these machines as
well as good and bad experiences.

Thanks so much.

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]