From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 17:32:31 -0700
On 25 May 99, at 13:14, victor patman wrote:

> Hello All
>           I have a little problem with my new Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI
> adapter. I have a
> Plexwriter and a IBM 4.5 7200 RPM HDD connected to it. They each have
> seperate ID's and the computer successfully installed the SCSI cards
> BIOS. Both drives are shown during bootup. So that part is fine except
> that Windows doesn't show the drives.
> I believe I found the reason why but I just can't correct it. In the
> 2940's utility the BIOS shows a IRQ9 and cannot be change in the
> utility. In Windows I went to Device Manager and it shows the 2940 but
> with a yellow triangle and a black exclimation mark. When I click on
> Properties, then Resorces the IRQ setting shows 11 and I was able to
> change it to 9 in safe mode. But, My video card, a Viper 550 has IRQ 9
> and I can't change it to 11
> in Normal or Safe Mode. I need to change something, either video card
> IRQ or the Adeptec BIOS IRQ. All other IRQs are being used. HELP
> PLEASE!!!!!

  Windows' first choice of IRQ to allocate for a SCSI controller is 15, and
second choice is 14.  If these choices aren't available, that probably means
that the EIDE channels on the motherboard are still enabled.  Do you actually
have EIDE drives installed?  Mixing EIDE and SCSI in a single system is a lot
to ask.
  The other thing you can try is re-arranging your PCI cards.  The IRQ
assigned to a device by the BIOS may simply relect which PCIU slot it's in.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>