From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:52:31 -0400
On Friday 29 August 2003 12:51 pm, Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I run a little multi-boot desktop system at home with old
> Abit BH6 motherboard. I have W2k Pro SP4 images installed/
> running in their own primary partitions. Running stably
> for months and months.
>
> I have a W2k partition that I use on a daily basis. I had
> configured an old Zoom hardware modem as Plug/Play on
> com3/irq4/03f8 many months ago after disabling com3 (on
> the mboard) in the bios. The modem works fine when I boot
> to this partition.
>
> I have another W2k partition that I use mostly for
> emergencies and backups. When I boot this partition
> I can't get W2k to find/detect the modem.
>
> The Plug/Play service is enabled, but the hardware
> install wizard doesn't "see" a modem. I have
> attempted a manual install but the system has no
> serial ports assignable for the modem (system shows
> no serial ports at all).
>
> Does anyone have a feel for what might be going on with this?
> Have any idea how I could get the modem/com-port installed?
>

>   Thanks,
>   Peetie

Peetie:
Some of the older Zoom ISA modems did not do PnP very well, as I found out
when I upgraded from Win95 to Win98SE. For some reason, my Model 2919 was
recognized by Win95, but not Win98SE. The fix was to reset the modem's
onboard jumpers to select a specific com port/IRQ/interrupt configuration.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby