Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:33:43 -0700
The clicking sound often indicates serious problems are imminent. Have
you checked the SMART status? There are many diagnostic prams available,
and your drive manufacturer probably offers one.

Chkdsk /r might help, but replacing the drive sounds like the best plan.
Your clone and replace plan will work. I have used a USB adapter to do
this in the past to save all the drive swapping.