Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 20:36:01 +1100
From: "David Gordon" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 8:46 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Any thoughts?

> I am considering building a box using the following parameters and would
> ANY thoughts or experiences from fellow pcbuilders on this configuration:
>
> Case            ???
> Mobo            Tyan 2460
> CPU             Dual AMD 1800 MP
> RAM             512 meg
> HDD Brand??     2- 30 gig 7200 rpm
>
> Cooling         ???
>
> Video   ATI 32 meg All-in-wonder
>
> Sound   (not very important to me) something like a SB 128.

Case: as far as I know the tyan board doesn't fit in any normal midi tower
case, so you are either looking for a good full tower, or a really good case
like LanLi. also, get a good power supply,  at lease a quality 350w unit.

CPU: you can use 1800+ XP cups, there are no difference between XP and MP,
we've built some dual XP on tyan board, works as good as MP, you can even
build dual duron 1G systems (only duron with new core, start from 1G or
faster)

RAM: it has to be ECC registed DDR ram, just keep in mind.

cooling: very important, the case should have good air flow. CPU cooler
should be able to controll the max temp under 55C.

Video: since you go with 2 CPUs, it is likely you will use win2k or XP, I
don't know anything about ATi driver under Linux (again, since you wanted a
all-in-one card, Linux is not likely what you have in mind), but ATi driver
under win2k especially under XP is terrible. not recommended for win2k or XP
user.

Sound: same as video, just make sure it has proper working driver for the OS
in use.

Jun Qian

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml