From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:19:44 -0700
I had a similar sort of problem with a Maxtor Hard drive on a FIC
board.This sort of message would seem to indicate that LBA support is not
present but I doubt that this is the case. Particularly since you have
Win98 already installed and running on the hard drive. More likely is that
NT is seeing the drive incorrectly. This is caused by the hard drive, your
BIOS or you board . Post doesn't report the drive as a CHS does it.  Can
you temporarily put another hard drive on the PC and see if NT installs OK
? This would help you isolate the problem to your hard drive....or not.

I wish I had more to offer you but it may be that NT doesn't get a long
with your board and hard drive. It has been my experience that when you
have to struggle to get NT to accept hardware the best you can hope for is
a problematic setup and it may be time to move on to a different setup.

>Setup has determined that one or more of your hard disks has more than 1024
>cylinders.
>Because MS-DOS is normally limited to 1024 cylinders per hard disk, some
>hard disk controllers offer special configuration options to allow access
>to large disks in their entirety. These options are known as sector
>translation modes. if a disk has only slightly more than 1024 cylinders.,
>or such a mode is not enabled, a small portion of the disk remains
>inaccessible to ms-dos. Consult your computer or hard disk controller
>document for more info9 about sector translation and large hard disks.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>