Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:40:16 -0300
Is it possible your modem is a software "WinModem"?  It will need special
software from 3COM or USRobotics to run.  It could also be a hardware modem
wired to use COM2 and your PC´s BIOS has already been set to use your
onboard port as COM2.  COM1 is usually used for a serial mouse and COM2 is
used for a external modem.  If you have nothing on the COM2 port, you can go
into the BIOS setup and disable COM2 and the new PCI modem might install
with no problem. The best thing, I think, would be to get the documentation
on the modem to see what it is.  You might try to enter the complete
identification number at the USRobotics site, maybe something would come up.
You can also try the authors of www.modemdoctor.com.  The have a great
shareware utility to test modems in DOS and will give you a complete
diagnostic and description of your modem, but only if it is a hardware type.
Good luck.
Howard Rubin
Fortaleza, Brazil

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,