Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:02:37 -0500
Just to add to Ian comments:
--I'd suggest that you make sure that your are getting the 12 volts that is feeding the CD-ROM.  Not everyone has a meter in order to measure the voltage but one can exchange power supply plugs (most power supplies have 5 or more) and of course, you can connect a known good CD -ROM to the same power plug.

Mike Michel
--- On Mon 11/10, Ian < [log in to unmask] > wrote:
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] CD drive will not open

Karen, I think the fact that the CD worked on another system is coincidental - the opening of the drive door isn't controlled by Windows - the thing that does the job is an electromechanical switch which will work perfectly well independently of an operating system.

You could plug it into a 12 volt feed with no ribbon cable connection and it should still open and shut.

My guess is that the drive is on it's way out. When CD drives play up like this it's ususally time to look for a replacement unit.