From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:22:06 -0800
On 15 Feb 99, at 16:51, Robert Fisher wrote:

> I would like to add a word of caution on using switch boxes between
> machines.
>
> It seems the machine which is not actively connected to the keyboard
> and mouse will hang because it can no longer see them. But this does
> not effect the monitor because of the one way signal travel when the
> system is idle. So the solution is to have two keyboards and two
> mice, one for each machine. this works good for me. I am running two
> machines, one with win95 and the other with win98 with one monitor
> between them through a manual switch box which cost $20.00 If you
> want to spend the extra cash the fully automatic boxes are supposed
> to be able to keep both systems fully alive all the time but cost
> much more than a second keyboard and mouse.

  On the whole, I concur.

  There is monitor capability information read from the VGA connector
at startup, but it may not be needed the rest of the time....
  The best switch boxes will properly fake a keyboard, mouse and
monitor to each system when the real devices are directed elsewhere,
and Bad Things can happen if this is not done.
  My four-machine switch was a good deal at $200; some of our staff
uses a two-machine unit that I think we pay about $140 for.

  I would not expect to find this implemented on a $20 switchbox.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>