Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:42:19 -0500
Dear Mr. "farmer",

I'd like to share with you a recent experience I had, hoping this will help
you in making a decision.

Depending on the location of the bent pins, sadly there's really nothing you
can do about it.  I have tried to straighten out 2 bent pins on a P4 2.40
GHz chip before.  Using a flat-end surgical pair of scissors and a hi-power
magnifying glass (400X?  I forgot..) I was successful in making the pins
straight-vertical, or so I thought.  The bent pins, by the way, were on the
very outside row or should I say, the very first row on the chip?  It was
not perfectly straight and in fact, I had to press very carefully with a
slight pressure, the center part of the chip to install into the ZIF chip
holder on the ASUS P4SDX mobo.  After putting everything together, the
system seemed to start up normally.  In fact I was able to set up the BIOS
settings.  However, when I got to the System Monitor, I immediately noticed
that the CPU temperature was climbing at an alarming rate.  In a matter of
few seconds the CPU temperature reached 160 deg. F!  (I normally get between
98-102 deg F range for P4's) Without any hesitations, very quickly,  I
shutdown from the surge protector and.... bottom line, I had to dump the P4
2.40 chip.  It's not a pleasant feeling to drop over $100's worth of a good
CPU.  *sigh!*

Yes, you might be able to straighten out the pins but the damage to the CPU
internals is unknown and unpredictable.  This was pretty obvious when I saw
the dangerously high CPU temperature after my attempt to repair a P4 chip.
Others may have luck in doing repairs like this and I'm kind'a interested in
hearing from their sides too.  Anyway "farmer", save your motherboard, dump
the chip!  :-(

Emie DelRosario