From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 07:12:30 -0400
Gary,

You probably just need a new modem driver for Windows.

I can't recall the last time I bought new hardware and
didn't have to download a new driver from the
internet.  It seems like more and more manufacturer's
are adopting the "fix it in the field" philosophy.

They rush to get their new hardware to the market
by sacrificing final testing of the driver software which
goes with the device.  As a result, the device (modem,
scanner, printer, whatever) can only function marginally...
until you download the final version of the drivers.

Jim Meagher